Today is the last day I'll be posting a cheap & healthy recipe! It's hard to believe it, but a year goes by A LOT faster than I could've ever anticipated!
For the last recipe, I decided I'd share one of my favorites:
Chicken and Rice with Mushrooms
$2.31 per serving
398 calories per serving
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown basmati rice
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Combine 2 cups boiling water and porcini mushrooms and let the mix stand for 20 minutes. Drain through a sieve over a bowl, reserving soaking liquid. Then finely chop the mushrooms.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken mixture to pan and sauté for 5 minutes or until chicken is browned, stirring occasionally. Remove the chicken from pan.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and cremini mushrooms; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper; sauté 4 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in reserved porcini liquid, chopped porcini, and rice; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer gently for 35 minutes. Stir in the reserved chicken, peas, and thyme. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken is done. AND THEN ENJOY!
The chicken is packed with protein and will fill you up! Plus it's super tasty. Mushrooms are packed with vitamin D and are good for your immune system! Not to mention, some believe mushrooms even help with weight loss!
I hope everyone has enjoyed the Cheap & Healthy blogs! It's been a pleasure writing them.
Until next time,