Eating healthy on a budget IS possible. It can also be pretty darn tasty. This blog is becoming a regular feature, so if you're interested in any other Cheap & Healthy blogs, make sure you look back in the blog posts!
Today I'll be sharing:
$2.35 per serving
600 calories per serving (hey, it's dinner!)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted olives (such as green, ripe, Kalamata, and/or Nicoise), coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 8 1/2 ounce package corn muffin mix
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- Pitted olives, coarsely chopped tomatoes, and cilantro leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a 12-inch skillet cook beef until browned. Drain off fat. Add chopped tomatoes, the 1/2 cup olives, the water, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions. Divide hot ground beef among four (12- to 16-ounce) casserole dishes. Top with muffin mix; sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until topping is light golden and cooked through. If desired, top with olives, chopped tomatoes, and cilantro.
This dish is full of flavor and nutrition. Enjoy this south-of-the-border dish that won't break the bank, but will definitely leave you satisfied! :)
Big thank you to Better Homes and Gardens for the recipe!
Keepin' it healthy (AND tasty),