Many, many people have been trying to get me to join Pinterest. Pinterest is a social photo-sharing website (some have compared it to Tumblr, but there are several distinct differences between the two sites.) You can follow others and see their "pin boards", which are separate groups of photos that you've "pinned" as something you're interested in.
The reason I've held off on joining is this: I've heard it's extremely addicting. And if you know anything about me, you'll know that if I get into something, I REALLY get into it. Examples:
1) I stayed up til 4:30am each night for three weeks and watched six seasons of Doctor Who.
2) I own 3 sets of the Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little House" books.
3) I own 5 copies of Beauty and the Beast.
4) I own a Ravenclaw house banner from Harry Potter, along with the tie and Luna Lovegood's jewelry set, and I've read the books so much that my paperback copies have long since disintegrated.
5) I saved up my babysitting money for 6 months to buy the complete Anne of Green Gables DVD box set.
6) I've actually cut my hair to look like Rory Gilmore.
And the list goes on and on. Needless to say, I have an addictive personality, so I am terrified to try Pinterest. I already spend waaaaay too much time on Tumblr.
However, Kaylie from Young & Free Ontario told me about an app called Self Control. Apparently, if you download it, you can block yourself from accessing certain websites for a set period of time. You can't remove the block by uninstalling the software or deleting it or rebooting -- you HAVE to wait until the timer runs out.
If you ever find yourself wasting time on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr, etc. when you should be doing other things (like studying!), this app might be for you. It would also be helpful if your email is distracting you on a vacation or something, since it will also work for web-based email.
What's your poison? What TV/websites/movies/fandoms distract you so much that you might need the Self Control app?