A gift in a jar: the dry ingredients of a recipe, layered on top of each other. An easy to create, homemade gift for the holidays.
Gift in a Jar #3:
Oatmeal Cinnamon Pancake Mix
What you will need:
- A wide-mouth 1-quart canning jar
- Ribbon, paper, gift tags or whatever you’d like to use for decorating the jar
- 2 cups of quick oats
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup instant dry milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Layer the above ingredients in the jar, packing each one firmly in place before adding the next one.
Attach a gift card with the following cooking directions:
- 1 jar Oatmeal Cinnamon Pancake Mix
- 2/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups of water
Lightly grease a griddle and preheat it over medium low heat. Put the Oatmeal Cinnamon Pancake mix in a large bowl, and in a separate small bowl, beat together the vegetable oil and eggs. Then slowly pour the mixture into the large bowl, alternating with water, and mix thoroughly. Pour the mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, into the prepared griddle. Cook on both sides until golden brown, flip when the surface begins to bubble.
The above gift in a jar should last for at least 6 months!
Stay in tune for one last DIY gift in a jar,