This is a great dish for vegetarians and all other lovers of food! It's tasty, cheap and inspired by Mediterranean-styled dishes. It'll help ya keep on eating without breaking the bank!
This week's cheap and healthy recipe is:
Mushroom Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
$3.20 per serving
198 calories per serving
- 8 oz cabbage
- 16 oz mushrooms
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth, reduced sodium
- Remove 8 outer leaves from the cabbage. Place the leaves in a large stockpot. Add enough water to cover the leaves and set pot over high heat. Bring water to a boil, boil 10 minutes until the leaves are soft and tender. Drain the water. When the leaves are cool enough to handle, cut off thickest part of vein from bottom of leaves, leaving the leaf intact.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine mushrooms, rice, egg, garlic powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Mix until well blended.
- Place a small amount of mixture (enough to fit in the palm of your hand) onto center of each leaf. Fold in sides of leaves and then roll up tightly from one end to other, making sure filling is fully covered by leaf.
- Pour a small amount of tomatoes into bottom of the stockpot (enough to cover bottom with a thin layer). Pack the cabbage rolls tightly and lay in the stockpot. Pour remaining chicken broths and tomatoes on top. Set pot over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer 45 minutes. Remove from heat and serve hot.
I hope everyone has a chance to enjoy this dish and possibly surprise someone with an awesome dinner soon!
Thanks to Calorie Count for the recipe!
Until next time,